SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 9.0.157 Pro Beta] Have windows follow target editor?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 9.0.157 Pro Beta] Have windows follow target editor?
Mindflux

Post [SA 9.0.157 Pro Beta] Have windows follow target editor? Reply with quote
This applies to all versions but can we have dialog boxes invoked from the target editor come up on the same screen?

I use SSMS and SQL Editor on my second monitor and when I invoke the SQL Assistant settings from within the editor (via right click or menu) it always pops up on my primary screen.

Same with Ctrl-0 to open the document manager, always pops up on the primary screen.

Likewise when I open the editor and it asks if I want to open previously open documents, comes up on the 'wrong' screen.
Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
It also applies to prompt dialogs (see here). Another glitch is that even though the window state of SQL Editor is maximized upon starting it, it isn't, it only covers some 75-80% of the primary display. And since it is 'maximized', the maximize button is restore down instead, and requires clicking it twice to actually maximize the editor.
Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's more of a feature than a bug. Dialog boxes remember their position. Each dialog saves its size and dimensions to SqlAssist.ini file. It's global to SqlAssistant and not target aware. It's been that way for a very long time. So if you open multiple development environments and work with them concurrently, SqlAssistant dialogs will popup on the same monitor.

You may want to show some dialogs on top of the target development environment on the same monitor, while show others on another monitor. For example, you open the Data Transfer dialog and initiate a long running process. You don't always want to lazily watch the progress bar, which may take a while. So naturally you move the dialog to the second monitor and continue coding while still watching the progress.

I don't think it's always good to confine all dialogs to the same monitor. Yet, their positions and dimensions could be saved for each target environment separately.
Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
It's more of a feature than a bug. Dialog boxes remember their position. Each dialog saves its size and dimensions to SqlAssist.ini file. It's global to SqlAssistant and not target aware. It's been that way for a very long time. So if you open multiple development environments and work with them concurrently, SqlAssistant dialogs will popup on the same monitor.

Well, that is one would expect. And SA remembers the location and size of SA Options and the Document Manager (at least that's what I experience). But I'm pretty sure that's not the case with SQL Editor. It always opens on primary display with the maximized state state set to true while the window itself isn't maximized. The initial Document Manager window that pops up when the editor is starting is put on primary as well.

These are only slight inconveniences for me, since they usually happen seldom in my workflow. However, as Mindflux stated, they happen. What's more annoying is that prompt dialogs for snippets, which are pretty frequent, are always displayed the same exact location: the center of the primary display, regardless of which display the editor is on or where they have been dragged to.
Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
I'll have to test tomorrow but the whole reason I started this discussion is because the document manager wasn't saving it's position on my second monitor.
Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:30 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I'm sorry Mindflux, I didn't want to hijack your post, I only wanted to add that the issue is a bit wider (it affects other windows and dialogs as well) and that it already existed in 6.4.199.
Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
gemisigo wrote:
I'm sorry Mindflux, I didn't want to hijack your post, I only wanted to add that the issue is a bit wider (it affects other windows and dialogs as well) and that it already existed in 6.4.199.

It's alright. Just proves as confirmation I'm not the only one annoyed with some dialog boxes not being on the same window.

Heck I don't even think the recent documents popup is in focus (at least the yes/no/cancel buttons aren't the first tab stop anyway)... means I have to mouse over and hit yes or no or open depending on if opening or closing down an editor.
Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:58 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi all,

Would you please help me to summarize the issues being discussed here? If I get it correctly, there are three separate issues
1. The dialogs remember their position, which is not development environment specific.
2. SA SQL Editor always starts up on the primary screen.
3. The initial Document Manager window that pops up when the editor (any editor) is starting always appears on the primary screen.

Am I correct?
Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 am View user's profile Send private message
Mindflux

Post Reply with quote
My main issue is child dialogs (such as document manager) etc do not pop up on the same screen as the target editor.

My editors are on my left screen and ctrl-0 (and other dialogs) pop up on the right screen, no matter how many times I drag them over to the left screen.

Apparently this is the same for snippet/macro prompts per gemisigio.
Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:36 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Affirmative.
Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I have submitted the issues being discussed in this message thread to our tracking system for further investigation.
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: