SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SSMS 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SSMS 2016
neverden

Post SSMS 2016 Reply with quote
It doesn't seem like the plugin is working with the latest version: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx
Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:16 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I submitted a ticket to check SSMS v13.0.13000.55 for compatibility issues
Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
neverden

Post Reply with quote
FYI - its not just you. SSMS Tools doesn't work either.
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This seems to be a functional regression in SSMS, or may be just a bug, we don't know. SSMS is blocking loading of Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) extensions. SSMS 2016 IDE is in itself a variant of VS 2015 and the same extensions do work fine in VS 2015.

We don't know if the change is intentional or not. Please raise this issue with Microsoft if you want them to fix it.
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We've found out that SSMS 2016 R2 and the latest update to VS 2015 have some changes in .NET assemblies we depend on and that is causing multiple issues with SQL Assistant's add-ons loading. The issues are impacting all add-on for SSMS 2016, not just SQL Assistant add-on.

We will have an update supporting latest changes in the next major version 8.0 tentatively expected by the end of the summer. Until then SSMS 2016 R2 is not likely going to be supported. There is a small chance that the compatibility update can be back-ported to 7.5 code branch, but at the moment our SQL Assistant development team is focused on delivering version 8.0.
Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:54 am View user's profile Send private message
neverden

Post Reply with quote
Any updates/workarounds?
Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately no good solution is available for that SSMS release. You would need to wait for the next update from Microsoft which hopefully would resolve the issue or for SQL Assistant next major version that will offer a different kind of add on for SSMS not affected by this issue, or rollback to a previous SSMS release.
Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
neverden

Post Reply with quote
FYI - SQL 2016 was released and is no longer beta. The plugin still doesn't work.
Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
opiants

Post Reply with quote
Any update on this? This is the only thing that's holding me up before I can upgrade. Looks like Microsoft has changed the way plugins are loaded for good and it's not actually a bug.
Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It's a breaking backward incompatible change on their part rendering old addons useless and requiring completely new plus what appears like a bug in their installation program updating wrong registry keys.

New addons for SSMS 2016 will be available in the next major version of SQL Assistant, expected by the end of summer
Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
neverden

Post Reply with quote
I am going to try Redgate. They seem to be working with the new SSMS.
Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:27 am View user's profile Send private message
ezhovea

Post Reply with quote
SysOp
>>New addons for SSMS 2016 will be available in the next major version of SQL Assistant, expected by the end of summer

Sorry, but from my point of view this is unacceptable conditions.
I've already got accustomed to SQL Assistant since v2.5, but with current quality of support, Redgate positions looks much more attractive.
I will be very happy, if your position will change in the nearest time, because I do not want to be in the state like this anymore. And I am going to buy the license of Redgate product instead of waiting and upgrading to SQL Assistant 8.

BR, Evgeniy
Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We hear you. It's possible that the new add-on for the latest version of SSM 2016 will be released by the end of next week before the next major version, we are working on that.

==========================================
A few thing in prospective that may help to see the full issue.

* Microsoft has pushed new version of SSMS 2016 that is internally based on a completely different IDE, they switched internally to VS 2015 shell. This new version is released after the SQL Assistant's release.
* From add-on's point of view the new SSMS 2016 version has breaking changes making it incompatible with previous SSMS 2016 versions.
* This new version requires a completely different type of add-on. obviously it requires time for the development. I don't think you believe that such things can be done overnight, right?
* One can uninstall the latest SSMS 2016 version and rollback to the previous version if wanted.
Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 am View user's profile Send private message
ezhovea

Post Reply with quote
Dear SysOp,

Of course, I agree with you that "such things can not be done overnight".
And, partially, my post has been written as a reaction for your time estimation as "by the end of summer";
I do not know what is better for your team and for your customers - to get likely unstable version but in July or stable release, but in September.

So, time will tell.
Good luck.

Cheers,
Evgeniy
Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for your understanding.

By the way, the next major version isn't that far away.
Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: