SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SA Installer

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SA Installer
michalk

Post SA Installer Reply with quote
Is it possible to install support for only particular database(s)?
I work only with postgresql and mysql. Having other databases related stuff in configuration windows/lists significantly hinders tuning configuration process

I saw supported database list while setting installation process up, but all checkboxes was inactive (impossible to uncheck)

with regards
Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
They are disabled because they're not really separable.
Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:17 am View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Hmm. I can remove database specific items from configuration pages.
So why preventing them to be accessible in config is impossible?
Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can remove configuration options, if you'd like, not the actual database interfaces, which are compiled into the binary code and cannot be separated. The setup screen you mentioned refers to the database interfaces, not the options, that's why they are disabled.

I believe disabling the options you don't want rather then deleting them completely is much safer. The later may cause potentially compatibility issues with future upgrades. The main configuration file is complex, removing key elements of it isn't safe.
Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
michalk

Post Reply with quote
Yes, of course my request is related with configuration options not core functionality.
However, if it is like you say, installation program shouldn't expose db interfaces as modules to be disabled (even if checkboxes are not editable). It confuses end-user.

By need of removing particular db features I want to make work with settings more comfy. For example to access specific DB queries I have to scroll down through dozens of items, which are completely useless to me (other databases). As simply as that.

If disabling is indeed more safe, please consider hiding disabled features, making them accessible (to enable if needed) with use of some switch.

with regards
Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I strongly second this last idea. Hiding options/settings/whatever that belong to SQL Dialects (I believe that's what they're called) that have been disabled would vastly improve the user experience of configuration and settings maintenance.
Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: