SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Permissions error while configuring System Audit

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
Permissions error while configuring System Audit
cbt_dba

Post Permissions error while configuring System Audit Reply with quote
I am attempting to configure the System Audit function on a MS SQL Server and whenever I click on one of the "Filter" options such as Databases, Objects, Logins, etc I am prompted with the following error message:

Quote:
The specified schema name "db_audit" either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.

If I click "OK" to dismiss the error I am able to make my desired selection in the filtering options, however when I finally click the "Enable System Audit" button I am prompted with the same error again and the enable action fails.

I am using a trusted connection to the "DB LIB" connection where the account I am using has admin rights on the SQL Server.

What am I doing wrong during the configuration process?
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Which version of DB Audit Management Console are you running?

Just in case… you can check it in the Help/About menu.
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
cbt_dba

Post Reply with quote
I'm running 4.0.14
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You likely had DB Audit installed in the past or and then removed or changed some settings, or did it fro ma different computer. Please check a couple of things

1. If db_audit login exists on the server, and its default database is set to the correct audit repository. If you are not sure, just drop the login and drop db_audit user from the repository database to start fresh.

2. The connect profile settings in the DB audit Management console correct point to the right database. You can check them in the registry, but it might be just easier to use Tools/change Local Audit Repository Location menu to update the profile settings.

Please let us know if the above suggestions help or if my guess that in the past DB Audit has been already installed on that server is wrong.

By the way, are you aware that the last released version is 4.1.22
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 am View user's profile Send private message
cbt_dba

Post Reply with quote
During my trouble shooting of this issue I did reinstall the software so that may have left behind some settings as you suggested.

So after a clean install this is what happened:

(1) I first encountered an error stating the password was too short for the db_audit login. I then manually created this login with a sufficiently strong password based on this topic: http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21588 and that resolved the password problem.

(2) As I described earlier in this post I then ran into the "The specified schema name "db_audit" either does not exist...." error when trying to enable the System Audit.

I then followed your instructions regarding dropping and recreating the db_audit login and user as well as using the Tools>Change Local Audit Repository Location menu item to update the profile settings.

After doing this, the error "The specified schema name "db_audit" either does not exist...." still persists.

Is there still a permissions conflict or perhaps is there a way to manually create the various tables and stored procedures in the database I have chosen as the audit repository?

Lastly, is the current license I have for version 4.0 also valid for 4.1.22 so that I can simply download and install the new version?

By the way, this is all running on
- MS SQL Server 2005 sp 2
- Windows Server 2003 sp 2
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you got "annual maintenance" option with your license, the upgrade to 4.1 is free, if you don't, you can always add it; I think it is about $90 per license or close to that. The reason why I'm referring to that version is because in 4.1 you can specify custom password before install and avoid the hassle with manual db_audit account setup and password manipulations.

The current problem is caused by some kind of a discrepancy as a result of manual steps. The Management console is looking for db_audit user/schema in a wrong place and that's why you get "db_audit" doesn't exist. It also possible that you created the login, but didn't create db_audit user mapped to that login in the chosen repository database. Do you get the same error after using Tools/Change…Location menu?

Also, have you checked the Windows application Event Log on the SQL server computer? Are there any errors/messages recorded by DB Audit. If yes, what do they say?
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
DB Audit is a database security solution, it has nothing to do with counting business inventories.
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:50 am View user's profile Send private message
zeomkean

Post Reply with quote
For a rapid deployment, you have several options, one is to use DB Audit API and call it from a batch file or from a program and tell it what you want to setup. Another solution is to script out the setup and Pass4sure a+ book
run it a batch/SQL script, but that could be a bit more complicated if you also use system auditing or some other features.
Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: