SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Cannot validate the JAL code

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Cannot validate the JAL code
felixc

Post Cannot validate the JAL code Reply with quote
Hi,

I encountered following error message everytime I validated the JAL code, even those sample codes.

Execution of command "c:\24x7\JAL\jal.exe" /NOBANNER /VALIDATE "C:\24x7\Queue\jalValidator.tmp" failed.

Please advise how to work around it.

Thanks.
Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please add c:\24x7\JAL to the global search path, the system PATH environment variable.

I also recommend upgrading to a more recent version of the scheduler if your license is covered by the maintenance. From the issue description I can tell you that your version is not up to date.
Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 am View user's profile Send private message
felixc

Post Reply with quote
Our version is 5.0 Build 385. The JVM version is 1.6.0_29-b11

We used to run version 3.6 under Window 7 and it was fine. This time the license key forced us to upgrade to version 5.0 and we found odd is that the installer created a folder C:\24x7\ besides the C:\Program Files\24x7 Automation 3\

Thanks
Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
C:\24x7\ is just the default folder. You can change it during the installation to anything else. Using /Program Files/ is not recommended because Windows will obstruct any attempts to save global settings, log files, data files and all types of workfiles in that place.

The installer doesn't create C:\Program Files\24x7 Automation 3\ folder, that is something that has been left there from the legacy version, I suggest you remove it to avoid further confusion if you don't need the old version anymore.
Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 am View user's profile Send private message
felixc

Post Reply with quote
I tried to validate more sample codes and found that only the Javascript code can be validated sucessfully. The VBscript validation returns an error message "line 0: null", even though I removed all codes except:

sub main( )

end sub

The Windows we are using is Simplified Chinese Win 7.
When I install the scheduler to a Traditional Chinese Win 7, I found the JAL code can be validated sucessfully but the VBScript still returns same error message.

Anything related to this?
Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

It could be still a path issue, I mean resolving path locations to different programs. Theoretically it could be also related to differences in user permissions or system security setup (Windows UAC or domain settings) between 2 systems. In terms of the installation settings and user permissions, what's different between your "Simplified Chinese Win 7" and "Traditional Chinese Win 7" systems?
Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
felixc

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

We did not change the installation path during setup so everything is done according to default values. Regarding to user permission, please advise us the user privileges to use teh scheduler.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:11 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What I meant is that if you still have the legacy 24x7 version 3.x installed on the same system it could be sitting in the system search path first in front of the new version obscuring access to the latest programs.

As for permissions. The user running 24x7 should have full permissions for C:\24x7 folder and its subfolders. Windows UAC should not virtualize access to that folder and its subfolders or obstruct it any other way so that new files can be created and updated in the Queue and other subfolders as required. To set explicit permissions, right-click C:\24x7 folder, select Properties from the menu, then Security tab, and in the permissions list give "Full control" to the user.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 am View user's profile Send private message
larryc

Post Cannot validate the JAL code Reply with quote
Hi,
Environment:Win7 pro. 32bit Simplified Chinese.
We have installed “24x7 scheduler” (version 5.0 Build 385) to other PC. PC has not install version 3.6 before.

Windows path:
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\24x7\;c:\24x7\JAL\;c:\24x7\Queue\

Use Local Admin for testing.
Error message (Execution of command "c:\24x7\JAL\jal.exe" /NOBANNER /VALIDATE "C:\24x7\Queue\jalValidator.tmp" failed) show when I push Validate.
Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 am View user's profile Send private message
sylviai

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

For permissions, we are using the account of the local admin to run 24x7. It should have full permissions for C:\24x7 folder and its subfolders. Of course, we have checked the Properties of the C:\24x7 folder. We have been granted the Full control to the folder.

When we click validate, it prompt out:

When we click debug in the 24x7 Editor, it closed the editor and prompt out:

Any suggestion how to solve?

thanks!!!
Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You get CreateProcess 740 error when you try to start an application which requires admin rights. Please check your Windows security settings and UAC settings.

Additional notes.
1. By design jal.exe doesn't require admin rights, so that's your Windows system fooling around
2. The scheduler is a system utility. In the scheduler requirements it is stated that it should be run under admin-type user accounts only. The fact that you get that kind of error indicates that you are not being logged in as a user with Administrative privileges, or your Windows UAC is set to a very restrictive mode.
3. If you run the scheduler as a service, UAC will not interfere with the processing.
Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message
larryc

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

We used “Local Admin” for all testing before, so we are really no idea what security setting or UAC setting still need to concern? Please help to show us the detail.

We have install “24x7mp_setup.exe” only, need to install other software?
Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Clearly there still some security related issue that is causing the error. Please note that login to Windows as a Local Administrator is not the same as starting applications in "Run as Administrator" mode is not the same thing. Windows 7 doesn't really care how users login to the system, if UAC is enabled, it treats all users as low privileged users and whenever you try to run something interactively, it prompts asking for permissions to elevate program's privileges for that run. In comparison for the automated processes and processes started from non-elevated processes it simply fails them silently. Also note that UAC doesn't block services and doesn't impact processes started from services, so that if you the scheduler as a service, you won't face that issue.

Please try the following: start 24x7 in graphical mode from Windows start menu, right-click the 24x7 Scheduler icon in the start menu and choose "Run as Administrator" after that, try validating your JAL scripts. Please let us know if that helps.

Form ore details, see Windows UAC guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(v=ws.10).aspx
more specifically "Scenario 2: Configure an application to always run elevated"
Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: