SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Test Connection freezes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Test Connection freezes
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sorry, forgot to reply to your yesterday's post about ODBC. To test the ODBC interface, please create a 32-bit profile using odbcad32.exe, you can start it from command line. Then in 24x7 database profile refer to that ODBC profile. Your other ODBC profiles are 64-bit., that's why 24x7 cannot find them, it is currently being run as 32-bit process on your system While 24x7 can be setup to run as a 64-bit process, I suggest not to spend time on that now, until other issues are resolved and you can get started using it.

BTW, getting ODBC connections to work would be your 3rd option and it might be actually easier as you don't need to install or patch anything and also a quick one to try.
Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Sorry, forgot yo reply to your yesterdays post about ODBC. To test the ODBC interface, please create a 32-bit profile using odbcad32.exe you can start it from command line. then refer to that profile. Your other profiles are 64-bit. While 24x7 can be setup to run as a 64-bit process, I suggest not to spend time on that now, until other issues are resolved and you can get started.

BTW, getting ODBC connections to work, would 3rd option and it might be actually easier as you don't need to install or patch anything and a quick one to try.

Never mind. I had a refreshing sleep and today I managed to create a working ODBC connection that was able to run the job. Option #1 is the most appealing, I'll try to download the patch (though I experience some difficulties here, download keeps failing after 511kb/335MB).

Thanks for your help, I can test 24x7 now to see if that's what we need. My next goal is to discover how to make the job processing part to run on remote servers while checking their results on a local machine (if that's possible).
Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That's sure possible, but specific implementation varies depending on what types of results you are dealing with. Please describe a bit more "job processing part to run on remote servers while checking their results on a local machine." A specific example might help me understand better what you are after.

Last edited by SysOp on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Sure, here's the specific case.

We operate traffic management systems at several public transport companies. Critical part of these systems is the main server (mostly a two-node cluster) which is running an SQL Server and a communication application that collects data from vehicles (which have MySQL running on their on-board computer). There are other applications analyzing the collected data and making changes to configuration settings that are to be monitored as well.

Checking the results of maintenance tasks (both OS and SQL server) one by one puts an enormous strain on us. The whole system became unwieldy as it grew and time passed. We are now looking for a solution that helps us to manage these systems centrally (from a central GUI running on a local machine at our company) but independently from each other (using remote agents(?) running on main servers). Observing the on-board units would be icing on the cake but since they cannot be reached directly through VPN connections, monitoring the main server alone is considered sufficient.

One of the possible solutions we've checked was SQL DBA Bundle from Red Gate (SQL Monitor and SQL Backup Pro in particular) but their prices are pretty high compared to our budget and since their licensing requires purchasing an instance for each node, hence it even doubles the costs. Besides they only work for SQL Servers and don't provide any info about the status of the nodes themselves.

Then I remembered you have something called Automation Suite I read about some months or years ago (I did not understand what's it for at the time being) and thought we might give it a try.
Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for the big picture. Can we dive a bit more into technical details?

Quote:
Checking the results of maintenance tasks (both OS and SQL server)

What results? where are they stored? If that is a SQL maintenance job, it's fairly easy to check with a simple SQL query pulling data fro msdb database, for example, query msdb.dbo.sysmaintplan_log and msdb.dbo.sysmaintplan_logdetail. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. Is that what you mean, or something else?

What kind of OS maintenance tasks are you talking about? Do they log their statuses anywhere? report errors in windows event logs? other log files, If yes, you can use 24x7 to automate log scanning for errors or error statuses, group them bring to one central place. It can be done using agents, or WMI or something else, whatever works. Actually anything can be automated as long as it's clear what to run, what to check, where to look for results, how to read these results.

MySQL scheduled tasks can be checked too, mysql.information_schema.events table, etc...

I'm happy to help with this task. It makes sense to enter a separate topic for each specific task, it would be be easier to discuss it and find later.
Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Started a new thread here : http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=27525#27525

EDIT: I installed the hotfix downloaded from Microsoft Support page but Test Connection still freezes.
Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: