SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
$OBJECT$ still faulty

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
$OBJECT$ still faulty
gemisigo

Post $OBJECT$ still faulty Reply with quote
$OBJECT$ still omits database name if the selected object is reached through database.schema.object or if the database is the object selected. Even $OBJECT(ins_db)$ does not return the database name in the latter case.

Adding ins_schema, ins_db, etc. to $OBJECT$ was a nice touch but I cannot find them in the docs. Is it possible that the help is not updated?
Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you for the info. I wasn't aware of that functionality, and it appears to be undocumented. I will need to check with developers to find out more. Will get back to you as soon as I know what that is.

How did you find out about ins_schema, ins_db, etc. in $OBJECT$ macro?
Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I inserted one of my rarely used snippets that selects a database for $OBJECT$. It failed for the reason stated above. I tried to rewrite it (failed, by the way) and though I usually just type $OBJECT$ this time I selected it from the menu:
[/img]

I was just staring when I got the following dialog instead of simply inserting $OBJECT$ into the editor:

The radiobutton in Insert section specifies which part of the object name will be inserted, that is, adds ins_schema, ins_db, etc. to $OBJECT(...)$. The checkboxes add proc, func, schema, etc. to $OBJECT(...)$ and they act as a filter(s) and constraint(s) to the popup items. These are quite sophisticated. I mean selecting columns inserts $OBJECT(column)$. When inserting the snippet the popup omits stored procedures/functions/etc. and shows tables/views/table functions (filter part) which are required to select a column (constraint part) but only selecting (pressing ENTER or double-clicking) a column does trigger the $OBJECT$ macro evaluation. Using $OBJECT(proc)$ shows nothing but procedures, databases and schemas, of course, to be able to select a procedure from another database or schema, and so forth.

Hats off to the developers, I must say.
Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I know there have been some changes in release 6.1 related to handling of $OBJECT$ macro. At least the hidden features are now documented. Please check the latest build 6.1.35, which is available for download (right-click SQL Assistant icon in the system tray, click Check for Updates menu)
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post [SA 6.1] - $OBJECT(...)$ macro anomalies Reply with quote
$OBJECT(login)$ does not filter objects to logins. It only shows database and schema objects but those are not relevant in this context.

Also, there are two checkboxes named Record in Columns / Arguments. The first one resolves to $OBJECT(recordType)$ and the second one to $OBJECT(unknownType)$
Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:25 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm trying to make sense of login and other filters. It looks like some of these filters are rather late binding filters; it isn't they filter the content of the popup window, but rather what can be selected in it. Here is my theory. The content of all popups is driven by database queries in SQL Assistant options, I see that the only query returning logins is Schemas (MSSQL), specifically this part

Code:
   select
      name collate Latin1_General_CI_AS, 'SC', schema_id
   from
      [$DB_NAME$].sys.schemas
   where
      schema_id < 16384
   union all
   select
      name collate Latin1_General_CI_AS, 'SR', principal_id
   from
      [$DB_NAME$].sys.database_principals
   where
      type in ('A','R')
   union all
   select
      name collate Latin1_General_CI_AS,
      case when type = 'R' then 'SR' else 'SL' end,
      principal_id
   from
      [$DB_NAME$].sys.server_principals
   where
      type in ('S','U','G','R')

So, in order to get logins in the popup list, that "schemas" query need to be executed to pupulate the list and that's why it returns more than just logins. Yet, only items with 'SL' value in the 3rd output column could be selected. Does that make sense?
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Just a second, let me check.
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In regard to "records" that is for Oracle only, may be that's why it returns unknownType when used with MSSQL, I'm not really sure.
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:44 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Yes, it perfectly makes sense. I checked DB Queries for MSSQL schemas and the first part of it matches your code. I suppose the second part is here for server versions older than 2005. Your explanation is clear and having schemas and databases in popup is fine. My problem lies in popup not showing logins at all. Only schemas and databases.
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ah... now I understand. I think I see the same here, even though my db query surely returns them. I will need to log this issue to get input from the team.
Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: