SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Unable to start user process using runas

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Unable to start user process using runas
adrian

Post Unable to start user process using runas Reply with quote
Hi,

I was trying to use your tool "runas" to start a process with User privileges from an administrator account, but I keep getting this error.

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application..

My case is very similar to this one http://www.softtreetech.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22870&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=runas+0xc0000142

I tried everything imaginable - granting more rights in system directories, setting security policy values etc.

What's curious is that if I use the Microsoft runas, the application runs fine. Also, if I run as admin, the application runs properly.

And BTW, I also tried with launching notepad instead of my application and I got the same behavior.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

adrian
Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 am
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Does it report the same error when started without command line parameters?
Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
adrian

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean. I tried runas notepad.exe but it won't run, it just shows the command line help, and notepad didn't have any arguments to begin with.

Adrian
Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:43 pm
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Are you saying the the full command you ran was: "runas notepad.exe"?
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am View user's profile Send private message
adrian

Post Reply with quote
Initially I tried:
Code:
runas .\user password \windows\notepad.exe

which caused the 0xc0000142 error message.

Then you said I should try without command line parameters. I wasn't sure if you meant no command line arguments for the application I'm trying to start (notepad or my other app) or for runas itself, because I knew runas wouldn't run without any parameters. So I tried all combinations:
Code:

1. "runas.exe" (no arguments at all) - it won't start (shows the command line options)
2. "runas.exe notepad.exe" - (no user name/password arguments) it won't start (shows the command line options)
3. "runas.exe user password c:\windows\notepad.exe - (all arguments) tries to start notepad but it shows the 0xc0000142 error

BTW, in the meantime I found a tool from sysinternals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553 which does pretty much the same thing (with some enhancements that I don't use) which, as the native windows runas, doesn't cause the 0xc0000142 error.

But I wouldn't mind working with you guys on figuring out the problem with your runas if you need any help from me.

Adrian
Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 am
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There is one important difference between psexec and runas, runas allows you to encrypt the command line so that you can create a shortcut on a user system and they won't know your password, and they also won't see it using SysInternal's Process Explorer when process is running or using Windows 7 Task Manager, etc...

I asked to run it without command line parameters to ensure that runas.exe is not corrupted. The fact that it can start in that mode, but not in a different mode under another user credentials, indicates some security configuration issues or issues caused by the user's setup, for example if that other user doesn't have a local profile yet and the profile cannot be created in non-interactive mode. I suggest to try login on to the system as a user whose account you want for running notepad and then manually starting notepad and runas as that user. This may fix user's profile settings. If you get any errors, check their cause. If you don't get any errors, logon back as yourself and try running runas again. Hope this helps.
Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
fox7

Post Reply with quote
Hi:
I am interested in acquiring the RunAs Professional version. Can someone tell how to get it?? A link to download or to buy or...??

And how does one enable the encrypting of the command line???

Thanks,
Fox7
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
RunAs Professional is bundled with the Automation Suite. You would need to get an Automation Suite license to cover the RunAs Pro installation.
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: