SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Anyone Using DatabaseConnect with Oracle in Multi-Platform?

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Anyone Using DatabaseConnect with Oracle in Multi-Platform?
jeff33190

Post Anyone Using DatabaseConnect with Oracle in Multi-Platform? Reply with quote
I use the DatabaseConnect command all the time in JAL scripts in the Windows edition with no problems. However, we are evaluating the Multi-platform edition because we are moving to 64-bit servers.

I have created an Oracle data profile named "edwp" that is a child of the Database Interface "Oracle 10g". When I run the "test connection", it is successful. I can also create a database job using this database profile and it works. However, when I try to use the Databaseconnect command in a JAL script referencing this profile I get an error that the database profile doesn't exist.

I think I'm just using the wrong syntax, I have tried:
Databaseconnect "edwp"
Databaseconnect "EDWP"
Databaseconnect "Oracle 10g / edwp"

Can anytone tell me the correct syntax?
Thanks!
Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

JAL is *not yet* able to use JDBC based database profiles that you create in the Multiplatform Edition (MPE) graphical interface. It uses its own profiles whose settings are stored in the system registry (legacy method) and as a 32-bit subsystem within 24x7 MPE it won't be able to load your native 64-bit Oracle client. You should convert that job to a JavaScript job. The script syntax is nearly the same, yet you can run it on any platform and you can use JDBC profiles configured using the graphical interface.

By the way, Oracle native client is not required in MPE, it uses JDBC technology with direct connectivity to the database server.
Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
jeff33190

Post Reply with quote
I guess before I go to the trouble of switching to the MPE version (and possibly switching from JAL to javascript) I would like to verify that is the only path for us. We are running the scheduler entirely on Windows servers and don't intend to switch to Linux or Unix. However, we are moving to Windows 2008 R2 which is 64-bit. Currently, several of our jobs use the databaseconnect JAL statement connecting to Oracle databases. In addition almost every job we have calls a logging function that I wrote using a couple of user-defined statements that logs to an Oracle table.

The only reason I am thinking of switching to MPE edition is to accomodate communication with Oracle in a 64-bit environment. It is my understanding that the Windows version has to have the 32-bit Oracle client loaded which we are trying to avoid. Any other suggestions on ways to make the Windows version work on 64-bit server?

Thanks,
Jeff
Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
jeff33190

Post Reply with quote
Another problem I see, is the existing "function" that inserts and updates to Oracle was created in the "Script Library" which appears to be limited to JAL in MPE. I don't see how I could re-write that in javascript.
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

24x7 Automation Suite (AS here and later) is 32-bit application. While it can run happily on 64-bit x86 Windows systems, it won't be able to use 64-bit Oracle drivers or load any other type of 64-bit DLLs and drivers.

For multiple reasons it is recommended that you migrate to 24x7 MP version which eclipses 24x7 AS in terms of the available features, platform reach, scalability, etc.... JAL is also supported in 24x7 MP, but again as a 32-bit subsystem.

If you want to continue using JAL + Oracle, your Windows system has to have the 32-bit Oracle client installed.
Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: