SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
logon.exe (windows 2000)

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
logon.exe (windows 2000)
leaffan

Post logon.exe (windows 2000) Reply with quote
i am using logon.exe to logon a workstation each day. the system uses a password protected screen saver. logon.exe seems to work most of the time, but not all the time. i have it running from the windows schedule tasks program (which is a service). The event log looks like this each time it runs wether it works or not. Any ideas on what could be wrong with logon.exe?. why is it logging this error and why does it work intermittently

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Date: 02/01/11
Time: 1:05:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer:xxx
Description:
The Logon service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This error is coming from Windows logon service, not from logon.exe. The service crashes while trying to log user on to the system. More details and description of similar symptoms can be found here http://www.google.com/search?q=event+7031+%22Logon+service+terminated+unexpectedly%22
Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am View user's profile Send private message
leaffan

Post logon.exe (windows 2000) Reply with quote
hey thanks for the info. much appreciated although i am not sure i understand it. the link you provided did not yield any solutions for us. any idea how we can get tech support (paid or otherwise) via telephone? Just to recap, executing LOGON.EXE from the windows task schedule triggers the “windows logon service” to log the event described earlier. As well, we know LOGON.EXE does not always work consistently because our SENDKEYS code gets suspended whenever the workstation is locked. We were trying to use LOGON.EXE to log the workstation in just before our SENDKEYS code executes
Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:01 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
See if this utility helps: http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/51.htm.
Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:11 am View user's profile Send private message
leaffan

Post Reply with quote
i tried the link but recieve the following error...
Sorry! The page you requested is not in service
Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
The BBS software included the sentence period in the link it created. Please try this one:

http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/51.htm

or copy/paste without any trailing '.' after the '.htm'.
Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
leaffan

Post Reply with quote
oh boy, i think i have confused you guys, sorry about this. perhaps it best to go back and read my original post. we are using the program "logon.exe". our issue is that we noticed that it does not always work. The logon.txt log file indicates it works but yet we know it does not (regardless of what ends up in the event log). Again, it works most of the time, just not all of the time, it appears to be an intermittent problem. Any help (paid or otherwise) would be appreciated. I understand you guys support the 24x7 program which we are NOT using, we are just using the windows task schedule. Perhaps the utility logon.exe only works when run from the 24x7 scheduler???
Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

The logon.exe utility is independent of 24x7. The logon utility interacts with the Windows logon service, it basically emulates user typing user name and password on the logon screen and then pressing the Enter button. It is the logon service that performs the actual user logon. Your event log records indicate that there might be some problem with the logon service "The Logon service terminated unexpectedly" that's why we suggested that you need to look for the cause of that issue, potentially could be also a conflict with some other process running in the background while the logon is in progress.
Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: