SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows 7 UAC

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Windows 7 UAC
Kherting

Post Windows 7 UAC Reply with quote
I am running 24x7 scheduler 3.6.5 on Windows 7. Up until today, everything has been working fine. Today, I ran across a bug (I think) in 3.6.5. I thought I would go ahead and upgrade to the newest version, 3.6.11, to see if that solved my problem. It did, but now I have a new, more severe problem.

With version 3.6.11, Windows 7 now gives the UAC challenge every time I try to run 24x7.

Because of this, 24x7 will not/cannot start automatically, which is quite a problem for a job scheduler. I did not have this problem with 3.6.5. Also, now, if I uninstall version 3.6.11 and reinstall version 3.6.5, I have the same problem. My guess is 3.6.11 is leaving a piece of itself somewhere the is affecting 3.6.5. So, 2 part question...

1. How might I revert back to version 3.6.5 so Windows 7 does not request UAC challenge every time the program runs?

2. When might the new version be corrected so it doesn't provoke the UAC challenge? Or is there something special that needs to be done when the program is installed? I did try installing it as an Administrator. I was surprised that the old version worked fine but the new version did not. I can't imagine how anyone can run the new version on Windows 7 (or presumably Windows Server 2008 R2, Vista, etc.)

Thank you for any help,

Kevin
Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Why you don't run 24x7 as a service?

UAC doesn't apply to services.
Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
By the way, you can disable UAC prompts for certain applications if you want to. Check this article http://www.vista4beginners.com/Disable-UAC-for-certain-applications, this is for Vista. The same method can be applied to Windows 7
Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kherting

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately, running as a service isn't an option. We need to be able to receive input from the user, and as a service those input dialogs don't appear.

I did not try the suggested work around to disable the UAC for 24x7. That is not an option in my environment. Also, the link doesn't work as is. It has an extra comma at the end which causes the page to not be found.

I was able to get the old version (3.6.5) working correctly again by uninstalling the new version (3.6.11), running a registry cleaner to cleanup the bits the 24x7 uninstaller leaves behind, then reinstalling version 3.6.5. I guess I will just have to work around the bug in 3.6.5 until later.

Which brings me back to my original question, any idea when the newer versions of 24x7 might be corrected to not cause the UAC challenge every time? Version 3.6.12? 3.6.13?
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that what you're referring to as a bug, isn't a bug. I believe you are fighting Windows annoyances, not 24x7 issues. 24x7 is a system utility, it does require admin-level permissions for executing certain business functions. If these functions are blocked, nothing good would come out of it.

To see the referenced article, please remove the trailing comma at the end of the link. You may also want to check with your system administrators and ask them to set the environment to allow running 24x7 normally. Different applications require different settings, one size doesn't fit all.
Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Kherting

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for your responses; however, I have to disagree. I think there is a problem with 24x7. Let me try to explain this differently. I was running into 2 different issues, one which was solved, one which wasn't.

Problem #1 (SOLVED)
As I mentioned originally, version 3.6.5 appears to have a bug in it. Without getting into the nitty-gritty, the JAL command MailSend does not seem to work properly. When I upgraded to version 3.6.11, that problem was solved, so I am not concerned about this problem, as it seems to have been corrected. This was the bug I mentioned in the original post.

Problem #2 (NOT SOLVED)
Now, for my real concern, the "more severe problem" mentioned. Version 3.6.5 did not cause Windows 7 to require UAC authorization. This is good. When I upgraded to 3.6.11, Windows 7 started requiring the UAC. This is bad. I would think that not being able to run a job scheduler on startup would be a very bad thing. Version 3.6.5 works, version 3.6.11 doesn't. It appears that one of the changes between those versions broke something so now the UAC challenge happens. This is what I am concerned about. Yes, I know this has to do with Windows 7, but seeing as anti-virus and firewall software would also need admin-level permissions to function, presumably 24x7 could also be set up to not trigger the UAC.

Anyway, I have downgraded back to 3.6.5 (after running a registry cleanup to clear out the bits of 3.6.11). We will work around the email problem, and hopefully a future version of 24x7 will fix the UAC issue.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin
Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm afraid that #2 is not going to change. This is not a bug and please don't wait for a fix for what is not broken. You would need to change your Windows UAC settings to disable the prompt for 24x7 processes. The solution is clear and simple. Please consider this as a requirement for running 24x7. You can also use our RunAs utility to start 24x7 from command line or from a shortcut using elevated user privileges. This will likely allow you to avoid prompts.

Outside of the above discussion, from my point of view, it is kind of stupid to show the same confirmation prompt for the same process again and again. If as a user I already confirmed I want to do something, why should I be prompted again for the same thing?
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: