SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows 2008r2 elevation

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Windows 2008r2 elevation
LeeD

Post Windows 2008r2 elevation Reply with quote
Hi
We are thinking of going to windows server 2008r2 to run our windows ed scheduler (latest version) and I wondered if there was any issue with user account control elevation that we might face? Do you need to do anything to elevate jobs run by the scheduler from service mode that hit user account control?

Cheers
Lee
Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Whether the jobs, themselves, have UAC requirements depends on how they're designed, constrained, etc.

As for the scheduler, it can be run on that type of server without issue EXCEPT:
the setup must be run in elevated (Run As Administrator) mode, and for every change in scheduler options, it must be also started in the same Run As Administrator mode, otherwise the changes won't stick, Windows will undo them on user logoff.
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am View user's profile Send private message
LeeD

Post Reply with quote
So for example if a job changed a registry setting via runandwait and regedit script, how would one elevate that or would you need to?
Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure about your specific examples (I don't recall either registry editor needing elevation, but my memory may be incorrect.)
I've seen a number of tricks for bypassing or automating UAC-compelled elevation, from creating a task in Task Scheduler with Run with highest privileges set, to running the operation as System, to the "elevate without prompting" Local Security Policy.
Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: