SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Troubles using logon.exe in Windows 7

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Troubles using logon.exe in Windows 7
flavio

Post Troubles using logon.exe in Windows 7 Reply with quote
Hi everyone.

I'm using this tool to check if can be a solution to a customer.

To tests i'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I create a scheduled task to run when the workstion locks. The logon as executed, but the PC remains locked.

Checking in log file appears the messagem
Computer is not locked. Nothing do to

The job as configured tu run using a administrative account. In local policies I disabled the option to not require Ctrl + Alt + Delete and enabled the option "Do not display last user name" without solve the problem.

Also I change the compatibility of logon.exe, trying to run this program as Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 98 but the problem remains.

There is some configuration that I'm must change or logon.exe doesn't work in Windows 7?

Regards.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
logon.exe utility automates username and password entry for the classic Logon dialog. Windows 7 by default doesn't display that dialog,, it displays user names directly on the desktop. But here is a trick; you can configure your Windows system to use the classic logon dialog. Please search the web for details on how to enable that feature. When enabled, you can schedule logon.exe to unlock the desktop when needed
Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
remelosilva

Post Reply with quote
I already use a ctr+alt+del in Windows7 and when I run remotely logon.exe it indeed logon, but as SYSTEM and not as user.

Let me exemplify. What I'm doing is running:
psexec \\windows7-machine -u "user" -p "pass" -i -s -f -c logon.exe

In Windows7-Machine I'm logged as SYSTEM without explorer launched.
Why this happens?
Maybe because isolation sessions in Windows7 forces all services be lunched in session 0, or because logon.exe is running in SYSTEM userspace?
Why it doesn't logon with "user" and "pass" credentials that I'm passing through psexec?

I would be very happy if anyone can correct me or confirm me if is possible use this utility to logon in windows7.
Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The logon utility has been designed during Windows 2000/XP/2003 times. In other words, it expects the foreground logon dialog to appear on the screen, not the flat background desktop with static user names listed and dynamically displayed password fields below them.

In order to get it to work properly, you would need to enable the logon dialog. Please search this message forum or internet for how to do that in Vista. I don't know if the same method can be applied to Windows 7
Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 am View user's profile Send private message
remelosilva

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
The logon utility has been designed during Windows 2000/XP/2003 times. In other words, it expects the foreground logon dialog to appear on the screen, not the flat background desktop with static user names listed and dynamically displayed password fields below them.

In order to get it to work properly, you would need to enable the logon dialog. Please search this message forum or internet for how to do that in Vista. I don't know if the same method can be applied to Windows 7

Hi SysOp, Thanks for your response.

This is how far I can get:

Has you can see, I can get into the step of ctr+alt+del. Now, what makes me frustrated is running logon.exe I see an empty screen... It logs, but like if it had loged with the wrong credentials (of SYSTEM user).

From this point forward I'm lost. Have I missed some step until now? Or, from this point we can conclude that isn't possible do use logon.exe?
Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: