SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Recording Audit Data Changes in a Separate Database

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools View previous topic
View next topic
Recording Audit Data Changes in a Separate Database
DaveG

Post Recording Audit Data Changes in a Separate Database Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm working on a Windows Server 2003, SQL Server 2008 box. DBAudit creates its data-change trigger/table in the same database as the table being audited. Is it possible to create the audit trail table in a different database instead and have the trigger populate changes to that table/database? We want to keep the audit changes on another hard drive, because of the amount of data involved.

Also, is there a way to save the database auditing setup, so it can be rapidly applied to multiple databases/sites?

Thanks,
Dave
Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Yes, it is not normal to have audit trial tables in the same database and this is not a default setup. At some point when you started configuring the auditing, you got a prompt to create a new database, or if you want, to pick an existing database to be used as a local repository. For some reasons you picked the database that you wanted to audit.

If you want to change that, you can use Tools/Uninstall Local Repository menu to undo the current setup, and then repeat it and choose a different database.

For a rapid deployment, you have several options, one is to use DB Audit API and call it from a batch file or from a program and tell it what you want to setup. Another solution is to script out the setup and run it a batch/SQL script, but that could be a bit more complicated if you also use system auditing or some other features.
Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
DaveG

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Indeed, I do see this prompt. I must admit, I assumed it was requesting the database I wanted to audit and did not bother reading further. Quite foolish of me. I have since fixed it on the machine and everything is looking much better!

Thank you for your quick reply! We look forward to using your software.

Dave
Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You are welcome. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » DB Audit, DB Mail, DB Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: