SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Query Analyzer

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Query Analyzer
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Query Analyzer Reply with quote
Submited by Dsprings
Am having a lot of frustration with simple SELECT and UPDATE statements failing intermittently in MS-SQL QA. I can run a statement and get thousands of records returned one minute then run the exact same statement a minute later and get zero records. This never happened with version 3. Please fix as this is causing me a lot of problems and I am really unhappy about upgrading.

SysOp Response:
What makes you think this has anything to do with SQL Assistant?
The query is sent to the server by MSQA, delivered using SQL Server ODBC driver, executed by SQL Server, same goes back for results. What does SQL Assistant have to do with the that? Upgrade timing coincidence? So what?
Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dsprings

Post Reply with quote
This is no coincidence. And it is not a "So what" when a paying customer (we bought 8 licenses) experiences a sudden problem after purchasing an upgrade and expresses their frustration at not being able to work the way they used to when your product is loaded.

I have been using Query Analyzer on this machine for years and had SQL Assist 3 running for a long time and NEVER had this problem. The ONLY change to my system has been the upgrade of SQL Assist - nothing else. There is no question in my mind that it is SQL Assist. If I turn it off and reload QA without it the problem goes away totally but it happens with infuriating regularity when I have SQL Assist loaded. I have also noticed that if I turn off SQL assist for a while, leaving the same query window open, then turn it back on again, it seems to work fine.

By the way - my associates also upgraded at the same time and experienced the same behavior. The only way they could get around it was to work exclusively in Management Studio instead of Query Analyzer. I shouldn't have to switch programming environments to accomodate a plug in update.
Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi there,

It should be very easy to check whether SQL Assistant is part of the problem or not. Please disable MS Query Analyzer target in SQL Assistant options, restart Query Analyzer and try to use it for a day or two without SQL Assistant and check whether the problem is reproducible. If it is reproducible, SQL Assistant is not a part of it. If it is not, let's start researching how to troubleshoot it.

Regards,
SysOp

PS. I personally cannot imagine how SQL Assistant could be a part of this issue
Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
lmfs

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

I have the same issue with SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 and SQL Assistant 4.6.10. Intermittent disconnections from different SQL Servers when I edit and execute code. I have to disconnect the query window (Query -> Connection -> Disconnect) since SSMS hasn't noticed that the window is actually disconnected (and returns empty result sets, SQL Assistant also looses it's Intellisense for database objects) and then connect again (Query -> Connection -> Connect...).

During a full work day and heavy SSMS work this happens perhaps every other hour (4-5 times a day).

Without SQL Assistant activated this does not happen (yes, I have tried). I'm using the integrated menu, full environment integration and no specialized queries.

Using a Windows 2003 Server, English, SP2 as "workstation".
Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is a related issue. In your case the problem is caused by broken or timed out connections. On unstable networks, SQL Server connections tend to break often and easy. In case SQL Assistant detects such break, it attempts to repair the connection silently (disconnect/connect) without prompting you or waiting for SSMS to display an error message. When SSMS is used without SQL Assistant it internally does the same thing, that's why you don't notice broken connections. Since the connection is shared, there potentially could be an issue with auto-repaired connections if either program is unable to sense or use the new connection.

Yet, a workaround for to this issue and the other issue with data not being returned could be as simple as configuring SQL Assistant to use non-shared connection, basically to use its own connection to the database. The disadvantage of that method is that if you work with multiple database servers or databases on the same server, you would need to maintain multiple connection profiles and explicitly tell SQL Assistant which connection to use in which edit window (cannot use Auto-connect option).

In both cases, broken connections or non-returning results, it would be very helpful to have a reproducible test case, I mean specific steps that lead to the problem.

Thanks.
Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Dsprings

Post Reply with quote
I've got an email thread going with tech support - don't want to have you guys duplicating effort. I'll post anything we come up with here.
Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks. Please keep us posted on the resolution. Other people might be having the issue but shy to ask.
Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
lmfs

Post Reply with quote
Thanks from over here too.

(They might not be shy to ask, but it's quicker to reconnect than file an issue ;) )

Keep us posted if possible.
Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:10 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

The final conclusion is yet to be made, but it seems that the issue occurs in the following situation.
1. You have relatively slow database connection/server or you work on a large stored procedure or SQL file.
2. You use SSMS or Query Analyzer and have SQL Assistant share ODBC connection with the editor.
3. You type something and then pause for a few seconds.
4. The real-time syntax checker feature is enabled and it starts checking your code while there is a pause in typing. It sends blocks of code to the server to syntax validation in a special mode when code execution is disabled.
5. At this moment you press F5 or other hot key to execute your code which interferes with the syntax checker

The solution is simply, if you see the syntax checker working (no status icon on the syntax bar), do not run the code.

Or, if you don't care about syntax checking, turn off this feature.
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 am View user's profile Send private message
lmfs

Post Reply with quote
Preliminary results look promising. I have worked for about 8-9 hrs after disabling syntax checking and I haven't lost a connection a single time (fingers x-ed).

Live syntax checking is not a loss for me, I don’t use it anyway since you usually work on parts here and there and it’s not until all pieces fit together you can do a real check/analysis.

Big thanks if this was it!
Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the status update. Other people might be having the same issue. After reading this message thread, they could figure out to try turning off the real-time syntax checker
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:17 am View user's profile Send private message
agroisman

Post Reply with quote
I've been experiencing the same problem...I'll try the solution proposed and post the results.

Not sure if related to the same issue, but ever since I've upgraded to version 4.x, the saved passwords to my db's get randomly wiped out. I haven't really confirmed if it happens along with a disconnection, but it might.

I'll also monitor that behavior.
Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What do you mean by "the saved passwords to my db's get randomly wiped out?" Would you mind starting this as a new message thread as it seems unrelated on a first look?
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: