SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Accepting enhancement suggestions for new releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Accepting enhancement suggestions for new releases
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This sounds like a nice idea. I'm going to submit it as an enfacement request.
Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Max,

I think you have edited some of your old posts and added something there. I've got an alert from the system indicating that the topic has been altered, but lacking details. I'm not sure where or what you changed. Would you please post it as a separate topic?

Thanks

Last edited by SysOp on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Max,

I think you have edited some of your old posts and added something there. I've got an system alert to topic has been altered, but lacking details. I'm not sure where or what you changed. Would you please post it as a separate topic?

Thanks

I only adjusted a grammatical error to the last post of mine in this section, the content remains the same ...
Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Oh, ok. Have I missed any of your questions for which you are still waiting for a response?
Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:02 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Oh, ok. Have I missed any of your questions for which you are still waiting for a response?

ehm , yes , this:
maxpesola wrote:
If is not possible now, from the second join into a query, after write only another table name and write the "ON" and space, i would like to see as the first join , in other words to see first the foreign keys and "colum name matches" of last table with all the previous tables already joined, then the columns of last table, then the columns of previous tables, then only for last the other joins that you visualize for first now (but now , if i select a join into list , the query resulting is wrong...).

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking. Can you create some textual example or mock up screen which I can forward to the development team for review? A screenshot with on screen comments should also work.
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking. Can you create some textual example or mock up screen which I can forward to the development team for review? A screenshot with on screen comments should also work.

Sorry for the delay, the work took me...
When i press space on first ON (or "=" char), i've this situation:

with the "foreign keys colums" , "column name matches" and then all the columns of the two tables.
Instead , when i press space on second (an then) ON (or "=" char), i've this situation:

with the joins and only then colums of last table.
Then , if i select a join i've this result:

that is wrong.
Then, my request is to do the second list like the first , perhaps taking into account all the previous tables joined.
Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I would like to suggest a different method for adding joins to the code, which is more efficient and the issue you described becomes irrelevant. This method is described in the User's Guide in Chapter 3, Using SQL coding Assistant, see in particular "Example 2: Building complete SELECT starting with joins" on page 27" In this situation you pick columns and tables in one-go. You save time on not selecting separately tables and columns and you also save keystrokes, because you are not typing additional keywords, joins, aliases, etc… which are automatically inserted for you.
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:30 am View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
I would like to suggest a different method for adding joins to the code, which is more efficient and the issue you described becomes irrelevant. This method is described in the User's Guide in Chapter 3, Using SQL coding Assistant, see in particular "Example 2: Building complete SELECT starting with joins" on page 27" In this situation you pick columns and tables in one-go. You save time on not selecting separately tables and columns and you also save keystrokes, because you are not typing additional keywords, joins, aliases, etc… which are automatically inserted for you.

Ok but i've hundreds and hundreds of tables (and thousands of sps , views and sfs) into my db , i can't do a join for all tables (and i've not full privileges to tables structures), then , if i've not a right join to choose (and now it's so often), i don't know why at the second "ON" sql assistant can't do what i have explained above (now , to show the joins is clearly wrong)

Last edited by maxpesola on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Ok but i've hundreds and hundreds of tables (and thousands of sps , views and sfs)

What difference does it make? This is completely irrelevant for joins. Perhaps you didn't understand the suggestion. The suggestion was made for how to use SQL Assistant when pasting joins into the code, basically the sequence of operations. Whether you got 2, 5 or 5 million tables, makes no difference.

Quote:
i don't know why at the second "ON" sql assistant can't do what i have explained
Perhaps you don't have the needed permissions?

As you can see on my screenshot below, it is not a limitation in SQL Assistant.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
maxpesola

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Quote:
Ok but i've hundreds and hundreds of tables (and thousands of sps , views and sfs)

What difference does it make? This is completely irrelevant for joins. Perhaps you didn't understand the suggestion. The suggestion was made for how to use SQL Assistant when pasting joins into the code, basically the sequence of operations. Whether you got 2, 5 or 5 million tables, makes no difference.

Quote:
i don't know why at the second "ON" sql assistant can't do what i have explained
Perhaps you don't have the needed permissions?

As you can see on my screenshot below, it is not a limitation in SQL Assistant.

The problem is that , because is an old-very large db, not all the tables have constraints or other, and into the joins-list many times there are not the tables or the joins with the right columns that i need, then would be useful to permit to select the columns and tables after all "ON" words into query and if it's like the list of first "ON" would be better...
Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can always customize the Joins query in SQL Assistant options and in the WHERE clause add a filter to limit results to schemas and/or tables you really want to see in the joins list. This way you can tune it to do what you need. Even better, if you don't change the default query for joins, but duplicate it and modify the copy, then assign the modified query to "SQL Server" assistance type. For more details see "DB Query" group of options and "SQL Assistance" group of options.
Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Louis_liu

Post About user experience improvement Reply with quote
i'm using the trial version of SQLAssistant 4.5.9, in my evaluation, maybe the following could make it better:

1. maybe the next version can associate different style with shortcut keys, eg, press Ctr+F11 use style1, Ctrl+F12 use style2, etc.

2. Skip some segments when formatting the whole script, so they can keep in the origin format. just like this: place some reserved comments at the top of the statement, or surroundding it, after formatting, nothing will be changed for these statements.
maybe it's better if use the comments to mark the different part with different style.

3. Customize the List Item Selection Key. only Enter & Tab can be selected currently, is it possible to add comma and space? in MS visual studio IDE, we could press space or comma or other keys except ESC to select the highlighted item.
Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I've got several comments in response.

1. Using more hot keys is already a problem. It is really difficult nowadays to find a hot key which is not already taken by the SQL editor/IDE or not yet used in SQL Assistant.
In case you are simply looking to make your custom formatting style as a new default style to be used when Ctrl+F11 is pressed, you can just set it on the Targets tab in Options dialog. Selected your target editor on the left side. On the right side, modify Code Formatting Style and pick your custom style which will be now linked to Ctrl+F11.

2. This is doable, but I fear that for most people likely this is going to be too complicated and too time consuming to insert extra comments before and after various blocks of text and remember to enter such comments in a certain special format, not to mention explaining to coworkers the meaning of these comments when coworkers check the code.

On the other hand, SQL Assistant already supports block-based operations for virtually all types of activities. For example, if you want to format only a block of code, but not everything, highlight that block and press Ctrl+F11 or use right-click or top-level menu to invoke the format command.

If you need to format 2 blocks and skip something in between, highlight the second block and press Ctrl+F11 again

3. I will need to check with developers to find out if that can be done.

Again, if you are looking for a way to select multiple-columns and save on keystrokes, use popups after SELECT keyword (and similar), expand the table name (or view) and select all required columns, you should use Arrow Right/Left and Arrow Down/Up and for the navigation and selection, or alternatively you can use mouse. In this scenario, SQL Assistant will automatically insert commas and spaces as required and you don't need to deal with multiple popups and selecting columns one at a time.

PS. I personally cannot understand why Enter key is not good enough. This is the standard selection key in Windows for all types of lists and it is used everywhere without problems. I know that some people are used to use Tab key as a selector only because they came to database development from application development, from VB and other Visual Studio based targets, in which ages ago some MS developer "re-invented" use of Tab key in list boxes. I guess he/she had difficulties implementing standard Enter key because of some internal key conflict and that started the whole mess with the improper use of Tab key.

Last edited by SysOp on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Louis_liu

Post better than the others Reply with quote
thanks for the reply.
anyway, this tool is better than the others in my comparision of serveral formatting tools.
maybe the best.
Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 am View user's profile Send private message
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: