SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Code Snippet navigation

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Code Snippet navigation
judahr

Post Code Snippet navigation Reply with quote
Assume a snippet defined as:

Select $COLUMNS$
From $OBJECT$

When using from a different database, starting to type the desired database name produces the database as it should. However, after you use the arrow key to navigate, you can't use the letters to speed navigation.

For example, if I want Database1.dbo.MyTable, once the popup appears I type Data and Database1 is at the top of the list. However, you have to continue typing the base1.dbo.M to get to the desired table. It would be a lot easier to be able to right arrow to expand the tree to the list of tables and type M and scroll to MyTable.
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This is a known limitation and a topic for enhancement. Indeed I was thinking about this several time. The keys are used to set a filter on the top level. It would be nice if they can be also used to filter or at least scroll the second and third-level lists. Yet, if there are no matches on the second or third-levels or backspace is press, it is not clear how the popup should react to the keystroke. Restoring the previous items and their positions (before backspace) is not really feasible.

Any suggestions on how this behavior can be shaped in order to be useful and yet intuitive?
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
judahr

Post Reply with quote
Can you make the behavior similar to normal assistance. So that you see the chars as you type and it moves the tree at the same time:

Like when you type this:
Select * From m

You see the chars you are typing. That would be one improvement.

Another improvement would be, using the original example, to prevent the snippet from writing out until an actual $OBJECT$ is selected. So if I select Database1 by hitting enter it spells out the database and moves on to schemas.
Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We will discuss with developers what can be done in this area. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
This new feature has been implemented and it is currently being tested. It will become available in the next maintenance release.
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Support for branched item filtering has been added in version 3.1. This is currently available as a private build by invitation only. Please check it out. We will send you an invitation soon.
Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: