SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Connection Type: ADO.NET or SSMO

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Connection Type: ADO.NET or SSMO
anildas

Post Connection Type: ADO.NET or SSMO Reply with quote
On page 9 of the User's Guide shipped with SQL Assistant 3.0.24, we find:
Quote:
In order to connect to a SQL Server database server SQL Assistant uses ... SQL Server Management Objects (SSMO), which are installed with SQL Server Management Tools such as SQL Server Management Studio.

I have SQL Server Management Studio installed. Viewing SQL Assistant Options; Targets; MS Management Studio; Advanced; Connection Type, I find it set to ADO.NET. I do not find SSMO listed as one of the connection types. As I understand it, SMO and ADO.NET are two complementary technologies. Please explain.

Note: I believe Microsoft's acronym for SQL Server Management Objects is SMO. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162169.aspx.
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I believe SSMO = SMO, which is just an acronym for SQL Server Management Objects. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it is used internally and cannot describe it in detail. I only know that it is used with SQL Server Enterprise Manager target and possible in certain cases with SQL Server Management Studio.

For most pre-configured targets that come with the default configuration file, the connection type cannot be changed. You can change the value in the drop-down but that value will be ignored because the integration is performed on a level below the generic target editor integration interface. Basically SQL Assistant contains some code specific to the target. Consider this option useful only for setting up new targets and also useful to developers using SQL Assistant API. They use the same graphical interface to build SQL Assistant configuration files specific for their own targets. In all other cases, the connect type should be set to Automatic.
Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: